ODOS / Student Assistance Center / Resources for Students – Medical Withdrawal

Student Assistance Center

Main Content

Resources for Students

Medical Withdrawal


The purpose of a medical withdrawal is to provide students time away from campus for the treatment of a physical or mental health condition that impedes the student's ability to be successful academically or function safely as a member of our community. A medical withdrawal from the University constitutes a full withdrawal from all classes for the requested semester. Petitions for medical withdrawal and re-entry are made through McKinley Health Center (MHC) and each petition is reviewed by the Director of MHC.

Students who petition for and obtain a medical withdrawal during the semester may be eligible for a pro-rated tuition refund based on the effective date of the withdrawal. Please note, a medical withdrawal is not denoted on the transcript any differently than a withdrawal through the academic college.

To obtain the forms referenced below, or to discuss the process in more detail, please contact Kathie Pound, Administrative Nurse, by calling (217) 333-2705.

Medical Withdrawal Petition Process
  1. Fax or bring to the Office of the Dean of Students (ODOS) the Authorization for Disclosure of Confidential Health Care Information Form. Be sure to call our front desk at (217) 333-0050 to notify our administrative assistant that you faxed it. Having the form on file with the Office of the Dean of Students alerts us to your plans to submit a medical withdrawal or re-entry petition and gives us the ability to share your status with college officials who have the need to know your academic status.

    Some additional instructions about the form: Next to "Agency/Facility/Person line" enter the name of your college. Be sure to have someone witness your signature by having him/her sign next to "Witness". When we receive this form we will put a copy in your record here and then forward it on to McKinley Health Center.

  2. Send the following forms/documents directly to McKinley Health Center (MHC) via email to Kathie Pound at kpound@illinois.edu or mail to Kathie Pound, McKinley Health Center, 1109 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, IL, 61801. MHC- phone: (217) 333-2705; fax: (217) 244-1758.
    • A letter of support/medical documentation from your medical provider recommending a withdrawal due to medical reasons; this information should include information about the specific medical issues that interfered with your ability to meet academic expectations. This letter must be sent directly from the medical provider to the attention of Ms. Pound at McKinley Health Center.
    • Request for Endorsement of Medical Withdrawal/Re-Entry Form This form should be completed and attached to the narrative described below. This form ensures that McKinley has updated contact information for you AND clearly understands what you are requesting (e.g. a withdrawal from spring 2014).
    • A Narrative which describes why you are requesting the medical withdrawal, when your medical issues began to impede your ability to meet academic expectations, etc.
  3. Once the director of McKinley Health Center has received/reviewed all of the required information, they will make a recommendation to your college regarding the medical withdrawal. If the college accepts it, they will initiate a Withdrawal/Cancellation form which will indicate an effective date for the withdrawal. This form will then be forwarded to the Office of the Dean of Students for a signature, and then sent to the Office of the Registrar.
  4. Once the medical withdrawal is approved, holds will be placed on your student account by MHC, ODOS, and your College. These holds, which will prevent you from registering from classes at any Illinois campus, will remain in place until you have successfully petitioned for medical re-entry. (The ODOS hold can be temporarily lifted to allow you to access your transcripts). At least 2 months prior to the date that you hope to resume classes at UIUC or register for classes at any Illinois campus, you will need to follow the steps outlined in the Medical Re-Entry Petition Process.