ODOS / Student Assistance Center / Resources for Students – Medical Re-Entry

Student Assistance Center

Main Content

Resources for Students

Medical Re-Entry

Re-Entry Petition Process after a Medical Withdrawal

After a medical withdrawal and at least 2 months prior to the date you desire to return to classes at UIUC or to register for classes at any Illinois campus, you will need to follow the steps outlined below. Please read carefully. To obtain the forms referenced below, or to discuss the process in more detail, please contact Kathie Pound, Administrative Nurse, by calling (217) 333-2705.

  1. Fax or bring to the Office of the Dean of Students (ODOS) the Authorization for Disclosure of Confidential Health Care Information Form. Be sure to call our front desk at (217) 333-0050 to notify our administrative assistant that you faxed it. Having the form on file with the Office of the Dean of Students alerts us to your plans to submit a medical withdrawal or re-entry petition and gives us the ability to share your status with college officials who have the need to know your academic status.

    Some additional instructions about the form: Next to "Agency/Facility/Person line" enter the name of your college. Be sure to have someone witness your signature by having him/her sign next to "Witness". When we receive this form we will put a copy in your record here and then forward it on to McKinley Health Center.

  2. Send the following forms/documents directly to McKinley Health Center (MHC) via email to Kathie Pound at kpound@illinois.edu or by mail to Kathie Pound, McKinley Health Center, 1109 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, IL, 61801. MHC- phone: (217) 333-2705; fax: (217) 244-1758.
    • A Letter of Support from your medical provider attesting to the following: You are ready (physically, cognitively, emotionally and behaviorally) to safely continue as a University of Illinois student. The letter should also address recommendations for continued care and treatment. This letter must be sent directly from the medical provider to the attention of Ms. Pound at McKinley Health Center.
    • Request for Endorsement of Medical Withdrawal/Re-Entry Form This form should be completed and attached to the narrative described below. This form ensures that McKinley has updated contact information for you AND clearly understands what you are requesting (e.g. re-entry for Fall 2014).
    • A Narrative which should include what you have been doing during your time away from campus, why you feel that you are ready to return, and the supports you have in place to assist you once you return to campus.
  3. Once the director of McKinley Health Center has received/reviewed all of the required information, they will make a recommendation to your college regarding the medical re-entry petition.
  4. When you were approved to take a medical withdrawal, the Office of the Dean of Students placed a hold on your account. (You may also have holds from other departments). Once your petition to return has been approved, you must contact the Office of the Dean of Students to have your hold removed. To do this, please call (217) 333-0050 and schedule a meeting with a Dean in the Student Assistance Center so that we can assist you with your transition back to campus and remove the Office of the Dean of Student's hold from your account.

Please note: Receiving clearance from MHC indicates that you are medically cleared to return to campus. If you have academic and/or financial issues, those will need to be addressed directly with those departments.