ODOS / Student Assistance Center / Common Reasons for Contacting the SAC – Mental Health

Student Assistance Center

Main Content

Common Reasons for Contacting the SAC

Mental Health

Mental Health Concerns

It is not uncommon for students to experience stress while enrolled in a university setting. This stress may be fleeting such as preparing for final exams or it may become more pervasive and affect areas of your life in a more intense way. Signs that a student may be in distress can be as follows:

  • Behaviors which become disruptive to an academic and/or living environment
  • Excessive absences that are not easily justified
  • Serious academic performance issues, especially if there is a marked change from past performance
  • Student appears depressed or manic; change in personal hygiene

If faculty, staff, parents, or fellow students have concerns about a student's mental health, you should contact our office immediately. We will follow-up with the student, consult with mental health professionals, and refer students to appropriate supportive resources.

You may also contact the following offices directly:

Please Note: If you feel that the student's behavior poses an immediate threat to themselves or others, call 9-911 (on-campus) or 911 (off campus).

Suicide Threats, Gestures, Attempts

Whenever a report is received that a student has made a suicide threat, gesture, or attempt, it is always assumed that the student has an increased risk of committing suicide. This means that swift intervention should occur in order to assure the safety and well-being of the student.

If the student is talking about committing suicide or indicates thinking about committing suicide, the Office of the Dean of Students or the Counseling Center should immediately be contacted. If the student has attempted to commit suicide, 911 (off campus) or 9-911 (on-campus) should be called.

Depending on the action and established level of suicide risk, the appropriate action will be implemented.

For more information, contact:

Alcohol and Other Drug Referral

If there is a concern about the effects that alcohol or other drugs has on a student, the Office of the Dean of Students may make a referral to the Alcohol and Other Drug Office (AODO) for an assessment. Located in McKinley Health Center, the AODO's goal is to "provide focus and structure to facilitate appropriate efforts in order to assess and address problems and drug use on campus with the intent to protect the students' health, safety, and academic success."

Get more information about AODO.

Please Note: A referral to AODO does not have to come from the Office of the Dean of Students. Anyone can make a referral to AODO.