INBOUND 2017 is a two-day experience where incoming new students will have the opportunity to examine campus resources, learn about their college, and begin the transition to the University of Illinois. Participants will spend time in workshops, have small group dialogues with student leaders, and register for classes at Summer Registration.
Wednesday, May 31 – Friday, June 2
- The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (LAS)
- The College of Media
- The Division of General Studies (DGS)
- The College of Education
Wednesday, June 14 – Friday, June 16
- The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (LAS)
- The College of Media
- The Division of General Studies (DGS)
- The College of Agricultural, Consumer & Environmental Sciences (ACES)
Sunday, July 9 – Monday, July 10
Open to all incoming new students in any college.
What to Expect
The Inbound program is connected to Summer Registration and all participants will register for their fall classes on the following dates: (Friday, June 2 for Inbound session 1, Friday or June 16 for Inbound session 2). Please Note: The July session is not connected to Fall registration. Once you are accepted into Inbound we will automatically place you into your corresponding Summer Registration date.
Be sure to check the Admissions checklist at least two weeks in advance of your Summer Registration date, to make sure you are ready.
All students that wish to participate in the Inbound program must apply via the link on this page. Space for this program is limited and spots will fill up quickly. We encourage you to complete your application as early as possible. The application for this program will close on April 28 or when the program is completely full.
- Meet new students and Orientation Leaders!
- Introduction to Diversity at the University of Illinois
- Attend a full FYCARE session
- Night at the ARC
- Meet with your College to discuss your major and possible exploration of majors
- Campus traditions and Illini songs
- Tours: Campus and University Housing / Private Certified Housing
- Team Building and Scavenger Hunt
- Night time socials, ThinkFast, and general fun!
- New Student Programs will sign-up students and guests who are accepted into Inbound to the corresponding Summer Registration session (June 2 or June 16) that you are accepted into. You should initially sign up for a Summer Registration date, in the case you are not accepted into Inbound. However, if you cancel your attendance to Inbound after you have been accepted into the program, you will then need to reschedule your own Summer Registration date with the Office of Admissions
Schedule of Events
The following is a basic tentative agenda of events for the Inbound 2017 program. This program is still being organized and this agenda is subject to change.
Inbound Day 1
Meet the OL Team and fun!
Lunch with OL Groups / Introduction to Diversity at University of Illinois / Campus Tours
Learn about the University of Illinois and its diversity and inclusion on campus. Go on a tour with OLs to point out key locations on campus.
Dinner with OL Groups / FYCARE Session / Night at the Union
You will be able to complete your First Year Campus Acquaintance Rape Education (FYCARE) requirement at Inbound!
You will be able to have a relaxing evening playing billiards and bowling with your small groups.
Small Group Time / Lights Out at 11:30 pm
You will reconnect with your small group and review your day.
Inbound Day 2
Breakfast with OL Groups / Campus Scavenger Hunt & Campus Tour
Start off your day with a great meal to energize you for your campus scavenger hunt. On this scavenger hunt/campus tour you will be able to learn about campus and have fun!
Lunch with OL Groups / Professor Mock Lecture / Icebreakers / Navigating the Course Schedules, General Education & Registration System / Introduction to Your College
You will eat and meet with your small group to discuss what you have learned so far today.
You will be able to see what the difference is between a college class and a high school class. The OLs will teach you how to navigate the course schedules, general education and registration system, to prepare you for Summer Registration.
You will have the opportunity to meet with a representative from your college. Here you will be able to get more information about your College and what you can expect as a new student.
Break / Inbound Banquet
It is time to freshen up and get ready for our Closing Inbound Banquet. Please wear business casual attire.
We will be recognizing you for your completion of the Inbound program at the banquet. We will also have guest speakers and representatives from the university attending.
Night Activities: Glow Stick Campus Tour and Games / Night at the ARC / Lights Out at 11:30 pm
You will be able to explore the services of our Activities and Recreation Center. The night activities will include a Glow Stick Campus Tour.
Inbound Day 3
Checkout is at 8 am with Breakfast Bar / Walk to Summer Registration with OLs / Summer Registration Check-In
All participants must check-out of Weston by 8 am. OLs will walk students to the Illini Union for Summer Registration check-in where you will meet your parents/guests. Also, NSP will store your belongings in a room in the Illini Union, so you will not have to carry them all day.
Before you apply, make sure you can answer yes to these questions.
- Are you available to attend Session 1: May 31-June 2, Session 2: June 14-16, or Session 3: July 9-10 ** (Be sure your college is participating this day)?
- Are you available to register for classes – Session 1: on June 2 or Session 2: on June 16?
- Would you like some extra time with your college to talk about majors and college expectations?
- Did you accept your admission at the University of Illinois?
Inbound 2017 applications will be available March 27!
- Follow the instructions in the application.
- Be prepared to answer the following essay question in 100 words or less:
"If you could accomplish one thing your first year at the University of Illinois, what would that be and why?"
- Be sure to click submit after you have completed your application.
- You should receive a confirmation e-mail sent to your illinois.edu email account that your application has been submitted.
If you do not receive this e-mail within 24 hours of submission please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Inbound program.
- How do people hear about Inbound?
An email invitation is sent to new students in ACES, DGS, LAS, the College of Media, and the College of Education, to attend Inbound. We only have a limited amount of spots for this program so sign-up now!
- If I come to Inbound where will I be staying?
All participants will stay in Weston Hall (204 E. Peabody Champaign, IL 61820). All rooms are air-conditioned and have new furniture. You will be provided with a pillow, mattress, blanket, towels, wash cloths, toilet paper and linens for your bed. Please bring your own soap products and personal items for your stay.
- Is there transportation included in this program?
No, we are not able to provide transportation for Inbound. If you are unable to drive to campus, we encourage you to research local public transportation.
- Where should I park for Inbound?
If you decide to bring a car, you will be responsible for purchasing a parking pass at Inbound's check-in for $13/day and you will be assigned a parking lot.
- Where should my parents/guest park when dropping off a student for Inbound?
If you are dropping off your student for INBOUND, please arrive at Weston Hall (204 E. Peabody Champaign, IL 61820). New Student Programs will have our Orientation Leaders in orange polos to assist you to the check-in process.
Please park at a parking meter. The rates are $1/hour and may be paid by coins (quarters, dimes or nickels) or PayByPhone. Posted on each meter are the hours of enforcement and maximum time limits, 30 minutes, 2, 8, or 10 hours.
- What should I pack for Inbound?
Once you get accepted to the program you will receive an e-mail with a packing list. We ask that you bring one business casual outfit for the Closing Banquet on day two.
- What rules will there be for the program?
Every participant will be held to the University Code of Conduct. This is a drug-free/alcohol-free program. Any student found to be in possession or participating in any consumption of alcohol or nonprescribed drugs will be expelled from the program and evicted from the residence hall immediately.
- When will I find out if I have been accepted to the Inbound program?
We will have rolling admissions to Inbound and it will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. All final decisions will be made by May 6, but you may find out earlier if you apply earlier! So get your application in ASAP!
- Can I attend BOTH the RISE (Readying Illinois Students for Excellence) program and the Inbound program?
No, you are only allowed to attend ONE program. Both programs are great experiences to assist in your transition from high school to college. If you have questions please call New Student Programs at (217) 333-4057 to learn about Inbound or RISE.
- Can I attend Inbound if I have NOT accepted my admission at the University of Illinois?
No, you are not allowed to attend Inbound if you have not accepted your admission at the University of Illinois. You are only allowed to attend Inbound if you have ACCEPTED your admission to the University of Illinois.
- If I get accepted to the program and decide later not to go, will there be a penalty?
If you decide not to attend after a specified date in your acceptance e-mail, you will be charged a fee and will lose your position in the Inbound Summer Registration date. The fee will be outlined in your acceptance e-mail. You will need to reapply for a new Summer Registration date with the Office of Admissions.
- Is this the same program as Intersect that I heard about through the Illinois Leadership Center?
No, Inbound and Intersect are totally different. If you have been invited to both we highly encourage you to attend both. They are amazing programs! You will learn more about the Illinois Leadership Center Intersect program, which is on Saturday, July 30, 2016, in Oak Lawn, IL, with NSP and your OLs.
- What will my parents do while I’m at Inbound?
This program is focused on new students and their transition to the U of I. We do not have programming for parents during Inbound. New Student Programs will sign up your guests and family members for the selected Summer Registration session that corresponds to your Inbound date.
- Where should my guests and/or parents park for Summer Registration?
If your parents/guests bring a car, they need to park at Deck B4 (also known as the North Campus Parking Deck). The parking deck B4 is located at 1201 West University Avenue Urbana, IL 61801.
This deck is located on the corner of University & Goodwin Avenues in Urbana. You can enter it from Goodwin Avenue. To avoid a parking ticket, you MUST park on Level 4 or above.
To get to the Illini Union from the parking deck, walk 10 to 15 minutes south on Goodwin Avenue and turn right on Green Street. You can also take 22 Illini South Champaign-Urbana MTD bus to the Illini Union stop. The Illini Union is located at 1401 West Green Street in Urbana.
- Where should my guests and/or parents meet me for Summer Registration?
Your guests and/or parents will connect with you at the Illini Union for Summer Registration's Welcome on Day 3. The Orientation Leaders will be walking participants from Weston Hall to the Illini Union in groups beginning at 7:30 am. New Student Programs will have a luggage room that will be monitored from 11 am-6 pm to hold your belongings while at Summer Registration. Please don't forget to pick up your belongings by 6 pm with New Student Programs.
- Do I need to sign-up for a different Summer Registration date in case I don't get accepted into Inbound?
Yes, please register for an alternate Summer Registration date. If you get selected to attend Inbound, we will switch you over to the Inbound program Summer Registration date.